Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Holga photography tips.

  Lomography is one of my favorite things (which I have mentioned more then once....ahem...), and although I haven't gotten to take pictures with my Holga as much as I'd like, I've gotten some pretty good shots!  Since you voted on the poll that you'd like to see more about photography, below are some of my favorite photos of mine, along with some tips.  You can click them to make them larger. :)

  I'm honestly not even sure how I got this picture.  It wasn't cloudy, and I think I must have just got in the perfect lighting.  Anyway though, the main thing I can suggest with this one is to double or triple expose the film.  How do you double expose a photo?  Take a picture of something (say a tree) then without advancing the film, take another picture.  To triple expose, just take one more photo without advancing the film.  You'll be left with a photograph that has a few images transposed over each other.  Here are some more examples:


  

Another variation is this:

  I literally got this one like this: click shutter, move right a little, click shutter, move right a little, repeat.  And yet another variation:

  Want to get a shot like this?  Have somebody give a swing a good strong shove, and click your shutter one, two, three times as the swing sways back and forth.

  My model in the photo above is Nina (isn't she cute? :D ).  Lomography is all about taking chances.  But your shots will be best when you've taken a chance in a photogenic space.  Something I learned kind of the hard way is that you don't want to waste shots on things that are not going to be very interesting - like a cup in a shady place (Holga photos need sunny spots), or something kind of drab in colors (unless you are using black and white films, or the drab colors is going to translate a message to you viewers).  In the picture above, Nina is dressed in bright blue.  She is in a bit of a shady spot, but the sunlight shining through the trees makes amazing shadows on the ground.  The woods behind her is not only a good backdrop, but show a size reference (in other words, Nina is not a giant).  I will point something out though - firstly, I did not plan all this.  It just happened.  But I noticed after I got my photos back from the lab why this one was so much better than a lot of the others.

  What about sprocket holes?  Well, to get sprocket holes I used my 120 N Holga camera (that uses 120 mm film), and put 35 mm filme in it to take photos.  I asked the lab to process my film with the sprocket holes, and voila - SPROCKET HOLES!  You may have also noticed a different between the sprocket holes in the photos above.  Some are just black holes (my personal favorite) and others have green, red and yellow lines and numbers around the sprocket holes.  The only real difference that I know of is the film I used.  In the former, I used a Kodak film.  In the latter, I used Fujifilm film.  It's really just your preference.

  These are just some tips that I've found in my use of the camera.  There is so much more I have to learn, and it also depends on what camera you are using.  Hopefully I'll be able to post more soon! :)

3 comments:

Marian said...

That is really neat--I love the vintage/retro look! Can you get the film developed at a store like Walmart, or do you take it to somewhere special?

Lydia said...

I know, it's so pretty! :) Well, I've heard that you can get it developed at Walmart, you just have to go through a few extra steps:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/11/get-120-film-developed-on-the-cheap-at-walmart/

From what I've heard though, the quality that Walmart uses to develop the film isn't as good as a place dedicated to processing 120 or 35 mm film. I use Dwayne's Photos and, although I've had some trouble with specifications about my 35 mm film, it's a good site. I bet it would work even better if you were processing 120 mm film there, because then you wouldn't have to worry about sprocket holes and everything. :)

Marian said...

That's good to know--thanks for the link! I think I would have to try Walmart, just because I'm too impatient to wait for things in the mail. ;)

LinkWithin