Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sewing for my American Girl Kirsten collection.

  This post requires a bit of a back story before I get into it.  The American Girl Doll line has been in my life since I was a very little girl, probably 2 years old, when I received my very own Bitty Baby.  When I was a kid, I was really into the historical line as well as the modern line, acquiring a doll that looked like me as well as Kirsten Larson and Kit Kittredge.  Obviously I don't still play with dolls like I used to, since I'm 17 years old.  But I do appreciate the American Girl line, where girl power is stressed without  making common day life seem uninteresting and where boys are not portrayed as being the enemy all the time.  I'm also a member of The AG Dollhouse and American Girl Playthings! message boards, which celebrate the American Girl Collection and is a community for collectors all over the world to discuss AG.  So I still collect the American Girl items for Kirsten's collection, and after I finish with that I will probably collect Kit's collection.  Now that you know a little about what I collect and why, we can continue! :)

  A couple of years ago I started sewing an apron for my American Girl Doll Kirsten by hand but for some reason never finished it. So, since I have learned to use the sewing machine, I decided to finish it. It was based off the brown plaid aprons from Kirsten's books:
http://picasaweb.google.com/100726629012....723791117159778
http://picasaweb.google.com/100726629012....723227714061138
It's made out of some old cotton sleep pants of my dad's.  My sister Nina (Wickfield on the board) helped me a ton, which was great.  And I learned a lot from sewing it. Below my Kirsten models it for you:

[image]





[image]

  This was such a joy to make, and I really hope to sew more items for Kirsten (and possibly Kit, too) in the future.  Right now I'm signed up for a sewing swap (the project for which I've nearly finished) and a craft swap, which I think will hone my crafting skills very well! ;)

2 comments:

Rissi said...

I still love my collection of American Girl dolls and in fact would still buy the newer ones if I had the money lying around. :-)

Lydia said...

Yay, another AG fan! :D Which ones do you have? And yeah, some of the newer ones are really pretty. ♥

LinkWithin