Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man review


  "Little Lion Man" is a song  by Mumford & Sons from their album Sigh No More.  I really like this song, because I believe it could be a from a girl's perspective about a guy as well as from a guy's perspective about himself or like his brother or someone.  I like to listen to the clean version, because unfortunately the regular version has some swearing (which I found very unnecessary because Mumford & Sons is such a talented band that does not need to resort to cheap language like that).  The instruments in this song are phenomenal, telling a story all of their own.

  Frontman Marcus Mumford comments on the song:

  "It’s a very personal story, so I won’t elaborate upon too much. Suffice to say, it was a situation in my life I wasn’t very happy with or proud of… and sometimes when you can’t describe a feeling with your own words, it’s almost easier to express in a song. And then, when you get asked about the songs, it’s quite difficult to explain. It’s a conundrum — you don’t want to seem self-indulgent explaining yourself; it’s always awkward. Which is weird again, because it’s never awkward actually singing them. I suppose the song should stand on its own and people draw their own interpretation from the words. But for me, personally, it’s the lyrics that I listen to again and again in a song. I place specific importance on them. I can’t write lyrics unless I really feel them and mean them, which can sometimes be quite frustrating — because if you’re not feeling much at the time, you’re stuck." - (From "Countdown: Hottest 100 - 2009", ABC Online)

  These are my favorite lyrics:

"Weep for yourself, my man,
you'll never be what is in your heart.

Weep little lion man,
you're not as brave as you were at the start.

Rate yourself and rake yourself,
take all the courage you have left.

Wasted on fixing all the problems
that you made in your own head."


  Don't we all know someone like this?
  I'd really recommend this song to anybody that likes creative, indie folk music.  I rate it a 5 out of 5 stars. :)

  Also, for what it's worth, if you like Tonight Alive (a band sort of like Paramore), you should listen to this clean cover of "Little Lion Man" by them.  It's not nearly as good as the original, but it's pretty good, too:


2 comments:

Aubrey said...

Well hello Lydia! Im stopping over from Aidyl's blog. And I just wanted to say I FREAKING LOVE THIS BAND! Just wanted to point this out :)

Lydia said...

Hey, Aubrey! Thanks for stopping by! Mumford & Sons is an amazing band. I'm glad you love them, too! :D

LinkWithin