Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Healthy Meals: Greek Salad

During the week I try to eat pretty healthy.  I realize that a lot of people don't know what to fix for a healthy lunch when they're busy (and also it's very easy to end up eating junky processed foods in its place), so I thought I'd share one of my favorite healthy foods: greek salad.  This can be made the night before for a quick lunch, or you can whip it up for a filling (but healthy!) dinner.

Ingredients:
Romaine lettuce
Cherry or grape tomatoes
Pickling cucumber
Kalamata olive halves
Fetta cheese
Pepperoncini peppers
Red wine vinegar
Olive oil
Spices (oregano, thyme, basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper)

1.  According to how large you want your salad, gather all your veggies.   I used probably 8 leaves of lettuce, 10 tomatoes, 15 olives, and 1 cucumber.  Cut these up however you'd like. 
2. Add a pinch of basil and oregano, and then about a 1/4 teaspoon each of thyme and garlic powder.  Sprinkle the salad lightly with salt, and generously with pepper.
3. Now, at this point I would add my dressing.  I usually just eyeball the amount of oil/vinegar that I put on it, but I would estimate maybe a tablespoon of vinegar and slightly less than that of olive oil.
4. Stir up the salad, crumble your fetta cheese on top, and serve with two or three pepperoncini on the side.

I wanted to note that if you can buy organic produce, do!  If not, it's still important to eat your veggies for the nutrients.  Also, try buying pepperonicini WITHOUT the yellow #5 dye, as it can potentially be bad for your health.  All the ones at my grocery store contain the dye (including Mezzeta).  If anybody knows where I can buy it without yellow food dye, please leave a comment below.

What other recipes would you like to see on the blog?

LinkWithin